Participants will acquire knowledge and skills of Facility Operation and Maintenance practices starting with site acquisition up to and including building demolition and disposition of properties. This course will include managing the day-to-day custodial and maintenance functions including environmental impact, response measures and the use of new technology.
This program is designed for participants who currently work in facilities/plant profession and are looking to upgrade their skills and knowledge.
Topics and Learning Objectives:
• Review Property Management processes including land purchase, leasing and disposition of properties.
• Identify the role of the Facilities Department in the Ministry Accommodation Review process.
Community Use of Schools
• Examine the benefits of setting a community use policy and using a permit process to optimize school use.
• Compare the challenges and benefits of external tenants and full service schools/community hubs.
• Discuss how computer software is used to effectively manage the community use of schools.
• Understand the environmental impact associated with Custodial and Maintenance functions and put into action ways to respond to these impacts.
• Discuss sustainable practices that have positive impacts to the environment.
• Examine current initiatives to promote use of Green Cleaning products, equipment and processes.
• Investigate current trends in Water Management, Waste Management and Hazardous Material Control.
• Examine the policies and procedures in “greening” of Vehicle Fleets.
Facility Operations and Maintenance
• Understand the planning and scheduling of work in a Facilities environment.
• Examine the applications and benefits of new technology [work orders, computer aided facility management (CAFM)].
• Review upgraded technological trends in equipment and services.
• Understand the value of Preventive Maintenance and Life Cycle costing.
• Explore the diverse area of responsibilities in facilities management (outsourcing, security, emergency planning, health and safety, pest management, turf management and fleet management).
• Discuss and explore current trends in energy conservation and building automation.