Open Learning and Educational Support adheres to the University's policy on the Release of Student Information. This policy outlines the procedures followed by Open Learning and Educational Support with respect to personal information obtained from registered and prospective students.
Open Learning and Educational Support collects the following information:
- Current and prospective student biographical information including name, address,
employer, employee number, email, contact information.
- Student enrolment activities and related grade/marks
- Student financial and payment information including credit card numbers, bank
accounts, financial status.
- Student comments through the course evaluation process
- Activities within the online learning environment including discussions,
marks, assignments and quizzes and the completion of online surveys.
This information is collected verbally, in writing and electronically.
Purpose, Access and Disclosure
The above information is collected as necessary to provide
the academic services of Open Learning and Educational Support.
Access to student and course enrolment information is limited
to officers of the University who require the information in order to perform
the duties of their position. Access to online courses is limited to officers
of the University who require the information in order to perform the duties
of their position.
Disclosure to third parties will only occur under one or more
of the following conditions:
- at the written request of the student;
- in the event of an emergency;
- a police officer or officer of the court on the presentation of a court
- collection agencies to assist in the collection of Open Learning and Educational Support outstanding accounts;
- for purposes of promoting Open Learning and Educational Support activities to current, former and prospective
With respect to item #5, Open Learning and Educational Support requires that any mailing agencies
used in the distribution of promotional materials and information comply with
the University’s privacy guidelines and this policy.
Individuals who do not wish to receive promotional material
or information relating to the academic activities of Open Learning and Educational Support, can be removed
from the list by sending an email to info@OpenEd.uoguelph.ca indicating their
desire to be removed from future mailings or by contacting our office at 519
Program evaluations for continuing education activities will
follow the guidelines detailed in the Program Evaluation Standards and Policy
established March 2004. Information collected on the Departmental Academic
Surveys will adhere to the guidelines established by the University of Guelph
- Prospective Student information 3 Years
- Student and enrolment information on OLIS (no final mark) 3 Years
- Student and enrolment information on OLIS (with mark) Permanent
- CE Course Evaluations 1 semester
- Departmental Academic Surveys 1 semester
- Course Exams 1 semester
- Student activity on the Online Platform 1 semester
- Undergraduate Course Request Forms 2 Years
- Transcript Request forms 1 Year
- Transcripts for other institutions 1 Year
- Certificate and Diploma Request forms 1 Year
- CE Registration Forms 7 Years
Student personal and enrolment activities will be purged from the Open Learning Information System after three years of non-activity unless a final mark is associated with the enrolment. Enrolments that include final marks are retained indefinitely in order to prepare official academic achievement reports.
Information collected in courses served on the Online Learning Platform will be maintained for one semester after the subsequent offering. At that time, student names will be removed from discussions and replaced with a unique identifier in order to protect the confidentiality of the student but allow for course development and continuous improvement strategies. Student assignments submitted online will be purged at the end of the following semester.
All records will be destroyed once their usefulness has expired.
Violations and Complaints
An alleged violation of this policy or a complaint will
be received and investigated by Open Learning and Educational Support Director in accordance with the University’s
guidelines on the Protection of Privacy and Access to Information. Complaints
or concerns about the application of this policy or the use of student information
should be directed in the first instance to Open Learning and Educational Support Director and subsequently
to the Protection of Privacy and Access to Information Officer.